How to Get Rich in Vegas, the New Vegas Casino
BTD6: Getting Rich in Las Vegas, The New Vegas Resort.
A few days after Vegas, Nevada, hosted the first-ever Golden Globes on Feb. 12, the Vegas Sands Casino, which had opened in 2015 and is owned by MGM Resorts International, was suddenly closed to the public.
The casino had been the site of a series of scams and frauds in which casino operators have used false identification documents to gain entry to the casino and steal $4 billion in cash.
“The casinos have become increasingly vulnerable to cyber attacks, which we know are becoming more common as a result of the recent ransomware attacks, and this makes them even more of a target,” said David Loy, vice president of global operations at MGM Resort International.
“If you think about the Vegas industry, it’s been around for 100 years.
It’s still going strong, and there are still many of us out there working to keep it going.”
The Vegas Casino is a part of MGM Resorces Holdings Corp., the largest casino operator in the United States.
The company said that on Jan. 31, 2018, a computer virus called Cryptocat (known as CryptoLocker) attacked the MGM Resources website and the MGM Casino’s web-based services.
The attack was discovered in late October and the Las Vegas Sands said it had shut down all casino operations.
In addition to the Las Vegas incident, the Casino has also experienced another major cyberattack in 2017, in which the casino was breached by a malware attack that caused thousands of accounts to be disabled.
“We are taking immediate action to mitigate the risks that our guests and casino employees are now experiencing, and we are making it easier for them to get back online,” the MGM Resort said in a statement at the time.
“We have also initiated a security advisory to notify people of the breach, and are actively monitoring the situation and responding as needed.”
A total of 12 million people were affected by the attack, the company said, with the largest number of accounts affected being the casinos.
According to the MGM, the breach was detected early this year and the company did not find any of the stolen information.
“We have been working closely with the FBI and the state to ensure the security of the MGM resort,” MGM Resorbes said in the statement.
“Additionally, we have made changes to the way our systems are secured, and will continue to take appropriate measures to ensure that our systems remain secure and that guests are protected.”
“This breach was a direct result of our continued efforts to address cyber threats, and it is our sincere hope that our customers will be able to continue enjoying their favorite activities in the MGM resorts.”
As the Las Veces casino operator, MGM Resorcees has been under increased scrutiny.
In February 2018, MGM said that it was being audited by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and that it has received a $1 billion fine for failing to comply with a cyber threat law.
In addition, in July 2018, the MGM announced that the company would stop accepting payments from the Chinese yuan, which is used to pay for purchases at the casino.
Despite the security challenges, the casino operator said that the security measures it has implemented have made it “a more attractive proposition for guests” than it was before.
This article was updated at 10:40 a.m. on May 17, 2018 to include comments from MGM Resurgence.